Makeup Gourmet Chris Scott’s series of how-to video tutorials based on his #1 international best seller
Face with a Heart Mastering Authentic Beauty Makeup
Foundation: Top Coat For Your Skin
Because correctors (using the Face with a Heart method) do 80% of the effect in balancing the appearance of skin, think of your foundation as a top coat, similar to a top coat for a manicure.
Top coat is designed to heighten the luster and appearance of the nail. Use foundation in a similar fashion and instead of covering your skin, you heighten the luster of your skin.
Please refer to this post to ensure you have the correct foundation shade.
How to Pick the Right Foundation Shade
Please refer to these posts to know what Correctors are and how to use them.
What are Correctors?
How to use Correctors
To maximize the clarity and evenness of color of the skin.
The eyes and lips are the focal point features of every beauty makeup, and the only way to truly achieve this is to make the skin appear as naturally flawless as possible.
• Put small amount of foundation in the hand not holding the brush.
• Using the tip of the foundation brush only, place a small amount of foundation on brush.
• Starting from the center of the face, brush outwards at a very slight downward angle.
• Continue to stroke from the center of the face outward until all of the foundation has blended into the skin.
• For a more ‘skin-like’ finish, try not to go for full coverage with the first layer.
• Apply foundation to the face in sections, giving
the first layer a chance to set before applying a second layer (if needed).
• After applying first layer of foundation, stand 3 feet back from the mirror and assess where more coverage is desired. The heart of the face should be free and clear of any distractions.
Things to remember for the best foundation application
• Within the heart of the face is where the finish is most flawless.
• Once outside the heart line, the foundation can diminish from a level 10 to a level 1 as it moves towards the jawline and hairline.
• Always completely blend out what is on the skin before applying more foundation to the skin. Create a thin veil of coverage that can be built on when and where it is needed.
• Do not apply an additional layer of foundation over a layer you just applied. This gives time for the existing layer to set (dry).
• Allow the brush to flick off the jawline rather than run the brush along the edge of the jaw line. This will create a disappearing finish as opposed to a border finish along the jaw line.
• Finally, use the corrector brush to apply the foundation very thinly under the eye area in the same shape as the corrector. In most scenarios, this provides all the coverage necessary under the eye area.
The best advice when applying foundation is:
“where you need it-when you need it.”
A word about Makeup Gourmet Jojoba Liquid Foundation.
Face with a Heart
Authentic Beauty Makeup™
Products & Expertise
Here are two Foundation Application demo videos
It is required to login to MakeupGourmet.com to view these videos.
The videos are a complimentary resource.
Note: This series of video tutorials is organized in a specific order of
application. It is not necessary to do every step when you do your makeup but I do suggest you follow the order of the videos and skip the steps that don’t apply to you.
Please let me know if this blog was of value to you and share your own Authentic Beauty Makeup tips in the comments box below. I would love to hear how you get on trying this new method of makeup application – tell me how useful you find the tutorials and how you found the results. You can also use the comments box to tell me what interests and concerns you when it comes to which makeup colors to choose. Please let me know so I can fashion future blogs that are relevant and interesting to you.
Want to know more? My new book, Face with a Heart: Mastering Authentic Beauty Makeup is available on Amazon now.
25th of May, 2016
CHRIS SCOTT, M.A. is the creator of San Francisco-based Makeup Gourmet®. Over his nearly 30-year career, in addition to doing makeup for top models from every corner of the planet, he also had the honor of working for legends like Paul McCartney, US Vice President Al Gore, Shirley Temple Black, Maya Angelou and Olympic Gold medalists Oksana Baiul and Kristi Yamaguchi. He was the creator and host of the TV show ‘Makeup Gourmet’ from 2008 – 2010. He was a leading Chanel Beauté national artist for over two decades, and is also the creator and guest teacher of Fashion Makeup at the Academy of Art University in San Francisco. He created his unique Makeup Gourmet line to ensure his clients and the public could have access to high-quality, ethically produced, ‘green’ makeup and skincare with a low-carbon footprint. Chris is also the author of Cosmetic Counter Survival Guide: How to Buy the Right Skin Care and Makeup and the international #1 bestseller Face with a Heart: Mastering Authentic Beauty Makeup.
‘The grass is always greener where you water it.’