Makeup Gourmet Chris Scott’s series of how-to video tutorials based on his #1 international best seller
Face with a Heart Mastering Authentic Beauty Makeup
Blush needs to appear as if your skin is manufacturing that color, not wearing it.
In order to do that, it is essential to examine how a natural blushing of the skin appears.
To my eye there is a surge of color in the skin that grows more intense as it moves toward the center of the face.
For both cream and powder blush, here are full-proof techniques to achieve a flawless flush of color.
• Put cream blush on tip of middle finger
• Make 3 dots along the cheekbone in the exact same places described in the powder blush section and in the same order.
• By default, the first dot will have more color and the consequent dots will have less as the amount of cream blush lessens with each dot.
• Starting at the first dot closest to the heart line and with a clean finger, use the palm side of your finger and blend blush by working in a circular motion.
• Slowly work back to the hair line.
• This technique shall disperse the cream blush evenly and smoothly.
For skin that tends to absorb cheek color rapidly, it is suggested to layer the cream and powder blush.
In this scenario, apply the cream blush first and the powder blush over the cream blush using the exact application techniques as described above.
Cream Blush Video Tutorial
• Pat the tip of the blush brush on to the blush color.
• Tap off the excess
• Smile or ask model to smile.
• The part of the cheek that rises up the most is where the first blush is applied. We call this the ‘energy’ of the cheek (this area is often called the apple of the cheek. As this placement is more precise, the energy of the cheek is preferred.) This means the place where the face moves the most in the cheek area.
• For placement, the first blush application goes along and outside the heart line in the energy of the cheek. This will further define and enhance the heart of the face.
• In a systematic fashion, pat the brush 3 times in the energy of the cheek.
• Now move up to the center of the cheekbone just along the top side of the contour application and pat 2 times.
• Next move back a little more towards the hairline and pat 1 time.
• Repeat this on the other side of the face.
Go back and forth from cheek to cheek until the desired intensity and balance is met.
Powder Blush Video Tutorial
How blush Contours
By strategically placing blush just outside the heart line, the brightness of the interior of the heart is enhanced in contrast to the blush just outside it.
As long as blush is outside the heart line, it will not compete with the eyes and lips and become a distraction.
This is good news for those who really like their blush. By using the 3-2-1 powder blush method, the result always appears natural to the skin and you can get away with a substantial amount of blush without throwing off the balance of your look.
This contour series will feature the following topics.
Face with a Heart is a clear and precise method to apply your makeup specifically. It clarifies all your questions about what goes where and why.
If you want to look specifically good without ever being overdone, Face with a Heart Mastering Authentic Beauty Makeup will show you the way. Along with the book, there are online videos to visualize the application so you too may master your makeup!
A complimentary e-book comes with every
paperback purchase from Amazon.
Note: This series of video tutorials is organized in a specific order of application. It is not necessary to do every step when you do your makeup but I do suggest you follow the order of the videos and skip the steps that don’t apply to you.
Please let me know if this blog was of value to you and share your own Authentic Beauty Makeup tips in the comments box below. I would love to hear how you get on trying this new method of makeup application – tell me how useful you find the tutorials and how you found the results. You can also use the comments box to tell me what interests and concerns you when it comes to which makeup colors to choose. Please let me know so I can fashion future blogs that are relevant and interesting to you.
Want to know more? My new book, Face with a Heart: Mastering Authentic Beauty Makeup is available on Amazon now.
3rd of August, 2016
CHRIS SCOTT, M.A. is the creator of San Francisco-based Makeup Gourmet®. Over his nearly 30-year career, in addition to doing makeup for top models from every corner of the planet, he also had the honor of working for legends like Paul McCartney, US Vice President Al Gore, Shirley Temple Black, Maya Angelou and Olympic Gold medalists Oksana Baiul and Kristi Yamaguchi. He was the creator and host of the TV show ‘Makeup Gourmet’ from 2008 – 2010. He was a leading Chanel Beauté national artist for over two decades, and is also the creator and guest teacher of Fashion Makeup at the Academy of Art University in San Francisco. He created his unique Makeup Gourmet line to ensure his clients and the public could have access to high-quality, ethically produced, ‘green’ makeup and skincare with a low-carbon footprint. Chris is also the author of Cosmetic Counter Survival Guide: How to Buy the Right Skin Care and Makeup and the international #1 bestseller Face with a Heart: Mastering Authentic Beauty Makeup.
‘The grass is always greener where you water it.’